Total Pageviews

Monday, April 4, 2011

April 2011

Here are a mixture of blooms to share.

Paph niveum:
A plant frown from flask and bloomed in less than 2 years. Round shape, small purple dots on white base. The plant is still small and the leaf span is between 6 to 8 cm.


Phrag pearcei:
Phrag is short form for Phragmipedium. They are native to Peru and Ecquador. This compact plant has deep green grassy appearance and clumps easily. This plant was bought as a single growth locally and has grown to about 10 heads. The flowers are about 6 cm in size and are borne on spike of about 20 to 30 cm in height. It is a sequential bloomer and each flower can last a few weeks. Fairly easy to grow and it is one of Phrags that could tolerate the warm weather here. You can grow them sitting on a tray of water or alternatively you can grow them in SH (semi-hydro) by allowing some water to stay inside the pot.


Paph Benkei:
A hybrid that was registered in 2004 from a cross between Paph godefroyae and S.Gratrix. It could easily be mistaken to be leucochilum. Round flower with burgundy streak and dots over cream base.The NS and DS are 68 and 48 mm respectively.


Paph concolor:
Here are two forms of concolor. The left flower colour is very dark. This form is from NE Thailand. I decided to call her "Oringina" because the colour is almost towards orange. An uncommon colour for concolor. The right flower is the more commonly colour that you would encounter.

Paph godefroyae fma leucochilum:
A nice round flower with burgundy tessellations over the light cream base.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joseph, you have a wonderful collection of brachys with beautiful shapes and markings. Seems to me that the most beautiful brachys in the world are all here. I'm really fascinated. I love paphs but don't really have any experience in keep them alive, let alone flowering them. Lately, things start to make a turn when my glauco blooms, since then I'm slowly regaining my confidence in keepin slippers. My collection of slippers are rather random, glauco is one of them, primulinum, pearcei (phrag) and some other 'impossible ones' like purpuratum, sukhakulii and hirsutissimum are part of my collection. I used to find the flowers of brachys wierd looking but after seeing your blooms have made me like them more each time when I see the updates of your postings in GCS. My latest acquisition is concolor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments.
    It is not difficult if you know their growing habits. For me, brachys are pretty easy. I am extending my boundary further by planting the intermediate paphs. Somed of them are in buds and shall update in my blog once they are fully developed. Keep an eye for my posting.
    Regards,

    Joseph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joseph, I was browsing through the past pictures you posted in GCS and I came across this very beautiful slipper call 'angthong'. I wonder do you have any for sale.

    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/JOE2907/AtongNiv0206.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicolai,

    Drop me an email at syyeo88@gmail.com
    Thanks for your interest.

    ReplyDelete